[Mailman-Users] Block "out off office" autoreply messages

Jeff Barger jeff at look.net
Mon Aug 23 17:57:53 CEST 2004

On Aug 23, 2004, at 8:55 AM, Luis Fernando C. Talora wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I´m having trouble with out of office autoreply messages sent to some
> list.
> Some users recieved a lot of them, because of some list member who
> didn´t
> know that you must not use out of office messages if you are member of
> mailing lists.

That's not necessarily so. Properly written auto-responders do not pose
a threat to mailing lists.

Unfortunately the one people use the most (the one in Outlook/OE) is
about as broken as they come.

> Is Mailman capable of blocking this kind of message?

You can play around with the spam filtering to catch a lot of these
messages. IMHO, it's best to just stop munging the Reply-To. See this
page: <http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html>.

-Jeff