[Mailman-Users] Investigating Bounces

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Mon Aug 23 16:42:00 CEST 2004

I have several list owners with large lists.  They get a bunch of bounces
each time they mail. Occasionally, they get lots more bounces than they
expect.

Is there any way to get Mailman to save the reason for the bounce?

The bounce log contains only the list name, email address and the bounce
score. I can infer whether the bounce was hard or soft by whether the score
increased by 1.0 or 0.5. There is no way to tell if the bounce was "mailbox
full" or "no such user" or perhaps <horrors> my SMTP server was refused
because it's become blacklisted somewhere.  It's not even possible to tell
if the bounce came from the distant SMTP server or my local one.

How do others deal with this situation?

</edg>