[Mailman-Users] New user - Mailman question

Charles Mikecz Vamossy taursus at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 20 21:39:08 CEST 2004

HI, I am a new member of the list and a list administrator responsible for
two lists.  Frankly I am struggling with some of the features and functions
and I thought I would ask "my elders" for some guidance.

Our lists are very simple: we distribute weekly information to members
about our organization's programs.  Our members sign themselves up
automatically, receive a confirmation request and when they respond, they
get a welcome letter.  Only two people (who are also the administrators)
can send postings.  Letters sent by other members and non-members should be
rejected automatically, with an explanation.  (They can write to our
organization directly...)

The problem is that non-members have apparently written postings and we,
laboring under the impression that if we do nothing, their letters will get
deleted, did in fact do nothing - and the letters appeared on the
list.  Apparently, we are told by the folks who run the lists for us, there
is a "set period of quarantine", and when that expires, the letters are
treated as approved.  This is news to us, and we are unable to find any
reference to it in any documentation.

Can you help us and tell us where to find information on this?  Are there
any parameters we can set differently?  Is there anyone out there with a
similar problem and how do you handle it?

many thanks in advance

Charles