[Mailman-Users] failure to find group name nobody

Shane I. Hoffman shoffman at westervillelibrary.org
Mon Aug 16 17:05:53 CEST 2004

I've seen this question asked a LOT, but had to dig for ages to find the
answer.  I finally just put 2 and 2 together.  I discovered my error on
redhat 9.0 using apache 2.x...the web server was running as user nobody
and group #-1...dont' use group #-1(the apache default)...I changed it
to group nobody and everything fired right up.  Usually the "don't use X
on these systems" stuff doesn't apply to redhat...seems to this time

below is the error I'd receive

Mailman CGI error!!!
The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being
stored in your syslog:
Failure to find group name nobody.  Try adding this group
to your system, or re-run configure, providing an
existing group name with the command line option --with-cgi-gid.

Thought I'd share it with the list.

Shane Ian Hoffman
Computer Services Librarian
Westerville Public Library