[Mailman-Users] mailmanctl's usage message

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Aug 15 00:54:19 CEST 2004

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:26:45 +0100
Richard Barrett wrote:

> You could consider running mailmanctl with the -h/--help option to get
>
> the usage printed without logging an error. The Mailman command line
> scripts are all fairly consistent in having the -h/--help option.

True. I can/should do that.  However I've found that the command line
scripts are consistently friendly in providing the usage info when no
arguments are supplied.  I'm just pointing out that writing the usage
info to logs/error seems a bit much -- and is easily remedied.

Also, the option to provide help/usage info isn't fully standardized
across all programs -- some use '-h', others use '--help', and still
others use '-?'.  Just using the command name is quick and easy and
means I don't have to memorize the option for each and every prog.

Regards,

David

> On 14 Aug 2004, at 20:31, David Relson wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't run mailmanctl very often.  Since I don't remember its
> > options, I often start by running "mailmanctl" (with no arguments).
> > When I do so, it's nice enough to print the usage message to stderr.
> >  However,
> > I've also noticed that a timestamped copy of the usage message
> > appears in .../mailman/logs/error as well as message "No command
> > given." (also with a timestamp).