[Mailman-Users] question

Russell Mann tech at khouse.org
Thu Aug 12 17:33:01 CEST 2004

> I am interested in using Mailman, but have a few quick questions.

I've been using it for about two weeks, so here's  a fresh perspective for
you :)

> One, is it easily customizable? Meaning I can change the
> wording/backgrounds/etc after it's uploaded? (Maybe Open
> Source is the term I'm searching for.)

Yes and No.  If you want a fully integrated mail list, you'll have to edit
python scripts.  For some reason the developers havn't templated the entire
system, just a few special pages.  There is also no native support for CSS.
My recent thread is here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/msg26387.html

Here's my "solution" post:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/msg26415.html

Maybe Brad Knowles can add this info to the FAQ?

> Two, We already have a list set up, can I import about 6,000
> contacts into the mailman software?

There is a mass-subscribe feature, which I havn't yet used, but plan to on
about 50K emails.  If you can get your addresses into a text file with one
email per line, you should be good to go.

> Three, Since our list is so large, I was wondering if there
> is any way to control how many emails are sent out per
> hour..We're only allowed to send out 800. Is that possible?

No clue.  Are you not running this on your own server?

> If these things are indeed impossible, Could someone please
> recommend software that would be helpful to me?

I'm converting OUT of ezmlm, which is a qmail-compatible email list
software.  If you're not adminning your own server, though, forget that ;)

--
Russell Mann