[Mailman-Users] BIG discard problem

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Aug 12 17:31:23 CEST 2004

At 10:11 AM -0400 2004-08-12, David Relson wrote:

>  I'm running mailman using the Mandrake 10.0 rpms.  I apologize for not
>  mentioning that fact.  I assumed that the division of files between
>  /usr/local/mailman and /var/lib/mailman was standard.  Evidently I was
>  mistaken.

	Anything done by any other group that takes the Mailman software
and packages it up in some fashion, will almost certainly make fairly
extensive modifications to the Mailman installation process so that
it conforms to whatever standards they've chosen regarding the
separation of source versus executable code, code versus data/queue
directories, etc....

	Unless you (or someone else) installed the software directly from
the source tarballs provided by the Mailman project, and you didn't
over-ride any of the default installation procedures, you cannot
assume that anything on your system is anything remotely like
anything on anyone else's system.

	This is why I went into pretty extensive detail regarding the
amount of information asked for in the FAQ entry at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.023.htp>.

>  AFAICT, recursive grep isn't bothered by the number of files in a
>  directory.

	Hopefully, it will "Do The Right Thing" with regards to large
numbers of files to be processed, just like xargs.  But this is
something that would have to be implemented internally to the code,
and your version of grep may work one way, while someone else's works
a different way.

	Contrariwise, xargs works pretty much the same everywhere.  Well,
everywhere that it is available.

>  Anyhow, details aside on grepping source code, I find mailman to be a
>  useful and valuable tool.  It's been running bogofilter's mailing lists
>  for several months without problem.
>
>  Thanks for the great work.

	Thanks!

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755