[Mailman-Users] Request help: MM 2.1.5 Install on BSD; setGID errors.

Josh Tolbert hemi at puresimplicity.net
Thu Aug 12 08:43:45 CEST 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 06:35:27AM -0000, hesco at greens.org wrote:
> Hello folks:
>
> I'm coaching a friend on installing MM on a BSD server.
> I use and administer a Debian box myself here at the office.
> While I administer (in the sense of creating lists and
> assigning moderators) an installation of MM on someone else's
> Debian machine that I do not administer, I have never actually
> installed it myself.  I know nothing of BSD, except that being
> in jail seems to keep me from exploring configuration files.
> My friend did add me to the wheel group which helped some.
>
> The config.log reports:
> ***** Installation directory /usr/local/mailman is not configured
> properly!
> ***** Set-gid bit must be set for directory: /usr/local/mailman
>
> bash-2.05$ pwd
> /usr/local/mailman
> bash-2.05$ ls -al
> total 4
> drwxrwxr-x   2 root  mailman  512 Aug 12 05:38 .
> drwxr-xr-x  21 root  wheel    512 Aug 12 03:28 ..
> bash-2.05$
>
> Although I see no indication of it here, we did run a chmod 4755
> on this directory.  Tried the chmod g+s . at a prompt as well.
>
> Still we get this error.  Is there any way to get ls to show
> permissions as numbers, instead of in rwx format?
>
> What might folks suggest to get us moving again?
>
> All help is appreciated.
> -- Hugh

(01:40:39 </usr/local/mailman>) $ uname -a; pwd; ls -la
FreeBSD just.puresimplicity.net 4.9-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p4 #1: Wed
May 26 11:52:58 CDT 2004
root at just.puresimplicity.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PURE  i386
/usr/local/mailman
total 40
drwxrwsr-x  20 mailman  mailman   512 Jun 23 14:58 .
drwxr-xr-x  17 root     wheel     512 Feb 12 11:37 ..

That's how the FreeBSD port sets things up by default and it's been working
great for me. The pkg_install script sets %%USER%% and %%GROUP%% based on some
command-line parameters, then does this:

    /usr/sbin/chown -R "%%USER%%:%%GROUP%%" "%%MAILMANDIR%%" || exit 1
    /bin/chmod g+s "%%MAILMANDIR%%" || exit 1

I'm not running Mailman in a jail, so YMMV.

Good luck,
Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi at puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

If your sysadmin's not being fascist, you're paying him too much.
   --Sam Greenfield