[Mailman-Users] BIG discard problem

Robert Echlin rechlin at ca.stilo.com
Wed Aug 11 17:01:08 CEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Relson" <relson at osagesoftware.com>
Cc: <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 7:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] BIG discard problem

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:22:06 -0500
> Eric Schmitz wrote:
>
> >     Go to the mailman/data directory, and delete all
> > heldmsg-yourlistname-*.pck files. Then go to your admindb page. You'll
> >
> > probably still see the listing of all the thousands of held messages.
> > Click "submit all data", and they should disappear.
> >
> >     *Use at your own risk*! This feels like something of a hack to me,
> >
> > but you seem a little desperate. ;-)
> >
> > -Eric Schmitz
>
> With 2.1.5 there's a "Discard all messages marked Defer" checkbox. I use
> that, followed by the "Submit All Data" button.  Seems that's all that's
> needed.

Thanks, David, Eric, and Brad.

My problem is that this page *never* appears. It doesn't seem to time out
either, at over 20 minutes. The Python process keeps getting bigger until it
is using about 200M of RAM, then it fluctuates by 5 or 10M. And while it is
running you can't open another window on any admin activity on that list.
And some people thought I was overspecifiying by getting 1GB or RAM in that
server! <grin>

I'm going to start it up again, and see if it finishes after 2 or three
hours, or times out.

By the way, this is not a big list, it has 8 subscribers, and a few real
messages a month. The problem with this list is that we have about 2000
pages of documentation on our web site, each with a link to this list. In
some of the spam storms in the last few months the number of messages from
non-subscribers got a bit out of control, so we turned off allowing messages
from non-subscribers. The next version of the docs will have a link to a
form.

Robert