[Mailman-Users] Security

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Aug 11 16:45:05 CEST 2004

At 3:28 PM +0100 2004-08-11, Ian A B Eiloart wrote:

>  I guess you'd still need to ensure the kids used good passwords and
>  didn't share them.

	Then there's the spyware issue.  I mentioned this privately in
e-mail to Johnathan, but I'll also copy the relevant paragraphs here:

	Recent reports are that the average PC has something like 30
pieces of spyware on it.  Each piece of spyware can do things like
sniff every packet coming into or going out of the system, everything
typed at the keyboard, everything cut-n-pasted through the clipboard,
etc....

	So, unless you're a computer security expert and you are
fastidious about keeping your computer 100% totally squeeky clean,
odds are that there are multiple groups of spyware
authors/crackers/"skr1pt k1dd13s" out there that have a copy of every
single password you've ever used -- including the passwords you've
used to encrypt private documents or communications.

	Which means they probably have full access to your online bank
account, every private web site you've ever visited, etc....

	This also means that they can probably impersonate you using
supposedly secure cryptographic means (if they can sniff your
password, they can also steal your private key files), and
electronically sign your name to documents which legally bind you to
whatever contracts they care to sign.  Since it's your electronic
signature using your private password and your private cryptographic
key, you're not going to be able to do a whole lot to convince a
court that it wasn't you who really signed that document.

	As I said, it depends on what you call "secure".

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755