[Mailman-Users] reliable python 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 backport?

Raquel Rice raquel at thericehouse.net
Wed Aug 4 23:41:58 CEST 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:24:47 -0400
Jeff Garvas <jeff at cia.net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've determined that the problems I'm having with Mailman now are
> related to the fact that I have Python 2.3.2 running in Debian
> (woody).  Moderated messages keep erroring into logs/error about
> True not being defined.
>
> Does anyone here know of any reliable Python 2.3.3 or 2.3.4
> backports that I can use in my debian install?
>
> I've combed the net looking for this and I have run into brick
> walls and discussion lists where someone said "there is one
> available" but never mentioned where.
>
> I found something in the wee hours and installed it only to learn
> that 2.3.2 is just not cutting it.
>
> Surely someone on this list has found one if it exists, right? :-)
>
> I am starting to question my decision to use stable vs. unstable
> since so many applications require me to "break the rules" to make
> recent versions of applications run.
>
> -Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm running Woody on the server.  I've also installed Mailman 2.1.5,
with Sendmail.  My version of Python is 2.2.1-4.3.  Because I use
Sendmail rather that Exim, I couldn't get a working list server
using .deb files.  So, I installed Python using aptitude and then
installed Mailman from source in /usr/local/mailman.  It works
wonderfully.  No need to go to a Python backport.

--
Raquel