[Mailman-Users] Re: How does Mailman compare with YahooGroups?

prodos at prodos.com prodos at prodos.com
Thu Apr 29 01:30:01 CEST 2004

From: Prodos (Melbourne, Australia)
To: Glenn Sieb

Dear Glenn,

Good morning!

> If you look at what people _use_ Yahoogroups for, it's not just for a
> mailing list in general--it's being used to schedule get togethers,
> keep track of members' birthdays, et cetera. Mailman doesn't do all
> that (at least, not efficiently, unless you count some poor schmuck
> being stuck with the duties of emailing the whole list every
> week/month/etc to keep everyone up to date ;) ).

Okay.
I've never used those other functions (maybe I should!)
But I understand what you're saying.

> And, from the past comments I've seen on the
> subject, it's not something that interests the dev team (and that's
> fine.. no one said they had to find it interesting .. I'm just
> mentioning it as this subject has been brought up in the past...

Okay.

Actually, I'm new to all this "open source" stuff. I was introduced
to it by an American friend, Phil Oliver of Oliver Computing, who
helped me set up my new server.

I'm truly staggered, amazed, and astounded at how much
incredible FREE software has been and is being currently
developed around the world.

I'd be surprised if some of the functions that exist in YahooGroups
but don't exist in Mailman don't eventually get developed and
be made available by somebody at some time.

Anyway, your notes have certainly helped me in comparing
Mailman and YahooGroups. So thanks for that!  :-)

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

http://prodos.com - Internet Radio

"Discover the power. Of ideas!"