[Mailman-Users] Re: How does Mailman compare with YahooGroups?

Chris Barnes chris-barnes at tamu.edu
Tue Apr 27 18:47:28 CEST 2004

prodos at prodos.com wrote:
> Would anyone on this list care to offer a comparison?
> Or, if you are an ex-YahooGroups user, say why you changed
> to Mailman? Or, if you know of an already existing comparison
> online somewhere, perhaps you could send me the URL.

For pure mailing list capabilities, MM (and other "real mailing list
managers" such as Lsoft's Listserv, majordomo, etc) have Yahoo groups
beat hands down.

* no advertising (some of which is of less than acceptable topics for
lists my kids get!)

* Better response time (depending on your connection)

But if you are enamored with the extra features in yahoogroups such as
the calendar, file sharing, etc - you might be disappointed.  None of
these others have any of that.  Just as well since I hate those things
anyway...

--

Chris Barnes                                 AOL IM: CNBarnes
chris-barnes at tamu.edu                      Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
Computer Systems Manager                         ph: 979-845-7801
Department of Physics                           fax: 979-845-2590
Texas A&M University