[Mailman-Users] Adding users via email - No confirmation wanted.

mailman-users at think.co.za mailman-users at think.co.za
Wed Apr 21 12:58:36 CEST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Darryl Harvey

Is there any way for a moderator (or list admin) to add
users via an email that doesn't result in a confirmation
email being sent to the actual user before they are a valid
subscriber?

Is there any option for NO approval (As long as the
moderator (or
admin)) is initiating this request ?

We have a closed list (internal company list) that needs to
be populated, we can subscribe them, but we cannot use the
web interface), we need to use the email interface, but we
do NOT want/need any confirmation sent to each user.

-----------------------------

I see no answer via the list, so here goes.

If you're using 2.1.4, then do this...

First step should be to get your administrator to fiddle
with mm_cfg.py and set 'ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = Yes' and then
'DEFAULT_SUBSCRIBE_POLICY = 0'.

Then set the 'subscribe_policy' to 'none'.

Then send a message to the list with these details
To: listname-request at yourdomain.com
Body: subscribe requiredpassword
address=newuser at yourdomain.com

You'll get a whole bunch of confirmation mails, so just set
a rule to delete them. I'm not sure how to turn this
'feature' off.

If it's a once off, then go for it, but change back
afterwards.

Cheers
Hilton