[Mailman-Users] usenet news <-> mailman gateway config question

texas critter - mailman-users texascritter at ditb.net
Wed Apr 21 01:26:07 CEST 2004

peter at phmb.biz wrote:

> That is excellent news - thank you for letting me know!

You're welcome!

> Just one question: Where do you run gate_news?

It's in the mailman cron job, the line was originally commented out, I
uncommented it and when the cron daemon restarted at 4 am, it started
working.

# Every 5 mins, try to gate news to mail.  You can comment this one out
# if you don't want to allow gating, or don't have any going on right now,
# or want to exclusively use a callback strategy instead of polling.
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * *
/usr/bin/python2 -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/gate_news

(those last two lines are one line in the cron job file, my email program
wraps it and your paths to python and gate_news will most likely be
different)

> My ISP has copied gate_news to /etc/cron.hourly so that cron can run it
> each hour. There are no errors in the cron logs, no output at all,
> actually, which should be good news. However it is not picking up
> messages from the newsgroup - I haven't had it pick up one yet.

Ask them to look in the mailman cron job that runs the daily digests and
pending admin item notices - it's originally in this:

(serverpathto)/mailman/cron/crontab.in

and the setup for Mailman includes installing that to the server's cron job
folder as "mailman".  See #13 at this url:

http://www.kurtwerks.com/software/mailman.html

> I'm hoping that the global python parameters are set so that it can pick
> up the correct home directory - I'd have expected errors if it didn't.

That's probably your problem, it may not be picking up the directory, you
may need the full path to python and to gate_news too.  The mailman cron
job has the full path to both things.

hth,
texas critter

--