[Mailman-Users] Mailman with Sun ONE/iPlanet Messenger

Tim Faircloth tpf at canes.gsw.edu
Tue Apr 13 14:47:31 CEST 2004

At 08:31 AM 4/13/2004, you wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:47:45 +0300, Huseyin OZYURT
><hozyurt at hacettepe.edu.tr> wrote:
>
>>Hi;
>>
>>I have install mailman on iplanet server 5.2;I have made everything at this
>>page http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2002-October/023438.html
>>but do not running. When I send a message to test mail list I have a error.
>>This error is
>>             550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: test-owner at hacettepe.edu.tr
>
>It looks like a simple aliasing problem.  You'll need to find your aliases
>file for your distro (mine is /etc/aliases), and add something like:
>test-owner: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner test"
>...to it.
>When you created the list it should have given you this list of aliases to
>insert.  There is one alias for each virtual email address used by
>mailman: test-request; test-subscribe etc.  I can post my aliases stub
>here if you want.
>
>Then rebuild the aliases db with something like:
>newaliases

It could also be a problem with your MTA as well.  For example, Sendmail
won't allow any application to send mail unless it resides in a specific
directory (in my case /var/adm/sm.bin).  To fix this problem, I had to
place a link to the mailman program in /var/adm/sm.bin:

$ ln -s /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman /var/adm/sm.bin/mailman

and change the aliases line to use the symlink instead of using the binary
directly.  The line would look something like this:
test-owner: "| /var/adm/sm.bin/mailman"

/tim
--
Tim Faircloth, System Administrator