[Mailman-Users] apt-get?

Andrew Tait antait at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 23:29:20 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:40:04 -0400, Tim Faircloth <tpf at canes.gsw.edu>
wrote:

> At 04:33 PM 4/12/2004, you wrote:

>> I thought (perhaps incorrectly though) that apt-get was only used under
>> Debian distros.  Correct me if I'm wrong!
>
> Technically, there is an "apt-rpm" package you can install for
> redhat/fedora/mandrake that works the same as Debian's apt-get, but uses
> rpm depositories instead of deb repositories.

Interesting, although I suspect that we have gone from the state a couple
of years ago where package management was a black art to a situation where
there are dozens of these "solve dependencies, download and install" tools.

Yum is awesome.  I took me ages to get cyrus-imapd running on my dev box
here, compiling and cooking config files from scratch.  A simple yum
install on my deployed server took about 5 minutes and ran out of the box
with about 20 minutes of tweaking.  *sighs*

Hopefully it's tools like this which will bring Linux much, much closer to
wider acceptance by the user, rather than by the sysadmins like
yourself/syshackers like me.  :-)

Thanks for the gem of info.  Today has been full of these!

Cheers,

Andrew