[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] How to remove X-Confirm-Reading requests from mail headers distributed by Mailman

Lloyd F. Tennison lloyd_tennison at whoever.com
Mon Apr 12 23:27:44 CEST 2004

I know this might be simplistic, and I cannot get it to work, but  the Defaults.py say
the following:

# These variables controls how headers must be cleansed in order to be
# accepted by your NNTP server.  Some servers like INN reject messages
# containing prohibited headers, or duplicate headers.  The NNTP server may
# reject the message for other reasons, but there's little that can be
# programmatically done about that.  See Mailman/Queue/NewsRunner.py
#
# First, these headers (case ignored) are removed from the original message.
NNTP_REMOVE_HEADERS = ['nntp-posting-host', 'nntp-posting-date', 'x-
trace',
                       'x-complaints-to', 'xref', 'date-received', 'posted',
                       'posting-version', 'relay-version', 'received']

# Next, these headers are left alone, unless there are duplicates in the
# original message.  Any second and subsequent headers are rewritten to the
# second named header (case preserved).
NNTP_REWRITE_DUPLICATE_HEADERS = [
    ('to', 'X-Original-To'),
    ('cc', 'X-Original-Cc'),
    ('content-transfer-encoding', 'X-Original-Content-Transfer-Encoding'),
    ('mime-version', 'X-MIME-Version'),
    ]

I was trying to use it to remove X-Mailer and X-Url codes, but as I read it this should
also remove the original received header - which would be great for announce only
lists.  Since my IP is in the header my attacks on my personal machine get out of
hand by pop-up spammers.

Thanks.

Lloyd F. Tennison
lloyd_tennison at whoever.com

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message.
However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily
inconvenienced.