[Mailman-Users] Mailman not respecting settings in mm_cfg.py

Scott Courtney courtney at 4th.com
Mon Apr 12 09:11:05 CEST 2004

On Monday 12 April 2004 03:00, Richard Barrett wrote:

> > Is there something else I need to do when updating mm_cfg.py, to get
> > the > > changes to be effective? The fact that the mm_cfg.pyc file is being
> > updated (and "strings mm_cfg.pyc" shows the correct values inside)
> > suggests that the right directories are being accessed.
>
> In MM 2.1.4 the qrunners are daemons, not cron jobs. Try using
> $prefix/bin/mailmanctl restart to restart the qrunners.

I'm actually running them from cron and manually right now, using the
"once" option to keep them from continuing. I'll change this when
everything's debugged, but I need to be able to monitor/control the
timing for the moment.

> btw, you do not need to delete the .pyc as Python determines the need
> to recompile the .py from the modification date on the file

I didn't know that (I'm not a Python guru). Thanks for the tip!

> > All the web-based interfaces and archives work correctly.
>
> It is probably running these that has led to mm_cfg.py to be
> recompiled, confusing you into thinking that the qrunners are using the
> new version when they are not. They are probably using the older
> version they loaded when they were started.

I actually had done the web stuff prior to this test; sorry if that was
not clear in my post. It hadn't occurred to me that the timing would confuse
anyone.

I actually think I've found the problem. It turns out that my Exim config
was allowing relay from 127.0.0.1, but since Exim doesn't yet own that
address, the connection was going through a real interface rather than the
loopback. My ISP had made an entry of "smtp.[his_domain]" that actually
pointed to *my* IP address. This made the log entries look as if the
mail was routing through his Sendmail, when in fact it was staying within
my own Exim. So apparently Mailman was working all along.

Once I figured this out, I set up Exim to allow relay for mail originating
at my local IP number, as well as the 127.0.0.1 host, and messages seem
to be routing outbound now.

Sorry to bother everyone...I think we can call this a closed problem.

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them