[Mailman-Users] Message Approval by Moderator

Diana Kirk owner at writestop.com
Sun Apr 11 01:57:57 CEST 2004

On Saturday 10 April 2004 07:13 pm, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:35:22 -0500
> Diana Kirk <owner at writestop.com> wrote:
> > I'm very new to Mailman and I only have access to the Mailman (and
> > Exim) software on our servers via a CPanel.
> > snip
> > I would like to approve the message and send it on to the list. How
> > do I do that?
>
> We use MIME strippers on our lists. They install in the aliases file
> and clean the email up before it hist mailman.
> From the mailman FAQ:
> Mailman 2.0.* has no MIME supports. You will need to use an external
> MIME stripping tool for Mailman 2.0.*.
>
>   demime: http://scifi.squawk.com/demime.html
>   mimefilter: http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/mimefilter/
>   stripmime: http://www.phred.org/~alex/stripmime.html
>   stripmime: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/stripmime/
>
> Notes: There are two different tools called "stripmime".

Thanks for your information about the MIME strippers. I think, though,
that Mailman 2.1.3, which is the version provided by my web host, has
something that does that. This is fortunate for me, because I do not
have access to the aliases file from cpanel (or any other way with this
web host).

Basically, I've asked Mailman to remove any message attachments that
aren't in text/plain and to convert HTML to plain text. And, as far as
I can tell, Mailman did that with the message it forwarded to me.

I now want to forward that message to the mailing list. In Majordomo, I
would have simply added the line "Approved: [password]" and mailed it
to the post address for the mailing list. Then, Majordomo would delete
my approval and the message would get distributed just as if it came
directly from the list member who sent it. I'm trying to figure out
Mailman's equivalent of that.

I am explaining myself badly because I'm so new to Mailman. I'm assuming
that if Mailman had put this message in "Tend to pending moderator
requests", Mailman would have provided some way of approving it and
sending it on through the web interface. I've not gotten anything that
needed moderator action yet, so I have no idea what happens then.

Instead Mailman sent the message to me and now I have to figure out how
to get it distributed to the mailing list remotely via email and have
it look as though it came directly (headers and all) from the list
member who sent it to the mailing list. I'm trying to find out how to
do that.

Thanks for your help and patience,
Diana
--