[Mailman-Users] Not all mail getting delivered

Ryan Verner xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au
Fri Apr 9 13:07:47 CEST 2004

On 09/04/2004, at 8:14 PM, Richard Barrett wrote:
> I do not grok Postfix but reducing the value of the Mailman config
> variable SMTP_MAX_RCPTS in mm_cfg.py to a smaller value than the
> default of 500 set in Defaults.py (assuming MM 2.1.x) might be of
> benefit. I think you can come down to a few tens from 500 for this
> value without really prejudicing performance for most lists (well I
> can, with Sendmail).

Ah, I'll try this.  I'm assuming, by this logic, that postfix is
probably seeing too many invalid rcpt's from the one smtp connection
and as a result, gives this error.

Does mailman handle delivery different to a local MTA, rather than
remote machines?  I'm curious, because many people's spam filtering
would limit the amount of RCPTS allowed these days to a value much
lower than 500, right?

> If that stops the Postfix disconnect then MM's bounce handler is
> capable of cleaning the list of subscribers that cannot be reached if
> the bounce parameters for the list are not too far off base.

Ah, so the mailman bounce handler only works if the MTA actually gives
a real error (i.e. "user does not exist"), rather than just screaming
that there's too many rcpt errors?

Probably explains why it wasn't working, then.  I knew mailman had
bounce handling, was wondering why it wasn't working.

(Am I on the right track with the above logic, BTW?)

--

Signature space for rent.