[Mailman-Users] Re: I'm BEGGING for help here

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Fri Apr 9 01:50:55 CEST 2004

Tokio Kikuchi wrote:
>This is wrong. I should have read the page carefully. ;-)
>You can pass the second test by leaving pass_mime_types blank.

      That is how I read it.  Since the first test supposedly only removed
types listed, is it then not logical to assume that leaving both empty and
not converting, results in nothing being removed?  This is not, however,
what happens.

>This is also a feature. If you really want to pass HTML messages,
>you should compose it HTML ONLY. Only the first part (may be
>it is plain text) is passed, if there are alternative parts.

      Ah, this helps.  And yes, it looks like the documentation says this -
if you know what you are doing.  Sending html only does work.   Setting it
to accept multipart/mixed and text/html seems to work for html, but then
plain text is rejected.  Adding text/plain lets the text through, but kills
the html when it's sent as text/html.  Now that it's been explained, this
is the expected behaviour.

      Now that I understand how the filtering works, I can advise my user
of the choices.  Not really any that are great, but at least I know what is
possible.  I'd like to be able to pass html if it's present, and text only
if there is no html.  If I understand how the filters work this is not an
option.  (Actually I could make it work if it were not for how certain M$
products mess things up!)

<>< Paul