[Mailman-Users] Re: Spoofing Issue

Jamie L. Penman-Smithson devnull at silverdream.org
Tue Apr 6 05:58:04 CEST 2004

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 08:55:41 -0400, Doug Straight scribbled down:
> We had an event on Saturday where all 8,000 members got an infected email
> from the list.  It looked just like the newsletter we sent out in most cases
> but some members wrote back telling us they had the "Find the White Rabbit"
> message, and were told by Norton that they had a Beagle variant M infected
> email from us.
>
> I'd love to hear your ideas on this as it is quite a concern.

The best defense against virii-laden mail is to pass your mailing list
mail through a virus scanning engine of some kind.

In my case, all mail to Mailman gets passed through amavisd-new, which I
can heartily recommend.

The forgery of headers is best handled at the MTA level, anti-spam
technology such as SPF et al are designed to combat this.

HTH

-jamie <jamie at silverdream.org> | spamtrap: spam at silverdream.org
 w: http://www.silverdream.org | p: sms at silverdream.org
 pgp key @ http://silverdream.org/~jps/pub.key
 04:30:01 up 1 day,  5:34,  9 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.26, 0.20