[Mailman-Users] Virtual domain problems, Mailman + sendmail

texas critter texascritter at ditb.net
Mon Apr 5 23:48:28 CEST 2004

S. M. Das wrote:

> Hello! I need two lists with the same name on the same
> machine, but for two different domains. Example: 'staff @
> domain1.org' and 'staff @ domain2.org'.

With the standard installation of Mailman, you can't have the same list
name on more than one domain name.  You can only do that if you're running
cPanel and their version of Mailman which they've changed to allow the same
list name on more than one domain.

I have no details on what cPanel changed to allow that, but it's similar to
what you're doing here, the list webpages end with listname_domain, instead
of just listname so Mailman sees the list as listname_domain at domain but
aliases it to listname at domain in the list webpages and the welcome emails
and so on.

> Right now, they have different names ('domain1-staff' and
> 'domain2-staff') and with some aliasing, members can post to
> 'staff @ domain1.org' using that address, and Mailman will
> accept and deliver it. However, the url for web administration
> is wrong, the welcome emails are wrong; really anything
> generated by Mailman claims that the list is 'domain1-staff @
> domain1.org' which is the real internal name and is also
> *wrong*.

hth,
texas critter

--