[Mailman-Users] Strange real_name naming scheme

texas critter texascritter at ditb.net
Sun Apr 4 02:01:43 CEST 2004

On Friday, April 02, 2004 11:42 PM, Matthew Stevens wrote:

> I've recently had to move hosts and the new host appears to
> being having an issue with mailman and cpanel.
>
> For some reason when I create lists they are created with my
> domain as part of the mailing list name.

Yes, this is part of what the cPanel people changed in the Mailman version
that they include with cPanel.  It makes it possible for you to have a list
named "demo" and another customer of your webhost on that same server (with
a different domain) to also have a list named "demo".

> I.E. List test becomes test_the-stevens.us for it's real name
> and therefore the lists address
> test_the-stevens.us at the-stevens.us and test at the-stevens.us

But all your users need to know about is the second one, I would completely
forget about the first one and just use the second one all the time.

> Part of that is that one of their server names pops up in some
> of the links such as

This usually only happens when your domain's move to the new server hasn't
completely propagated thru the net and within your webhost's DNS server.
How long have you been at that new host?  And if you go to
http://the-stevens.us/mailman/listinfo/test_the-stevens.us, does it work?

> I'm sure it's a config problem but I haven't been able to find
> the fix.

It's not something you can fix (unless you own or lease the entire server
and have root access)  If the list url with just your domain doesn't work,
contact your webhost.

> I've been searching the net but haven't found any mention of
> this issue.

I've found that another useful place for cPanel/Mailman issues is the
cPanel forums, so I keep an eye on that as well as this list.

http://forums.cpanel.net/

It's mainly for people like your webhost who actually pay for the cPanel
license but anyone can register and post.  I mainly use it to search for
info.

hth,
texas critter

--