[Mailman-Users] plain old fashioned bouncing?

Aaron Bennett aaron.bennett at olin.edu
Wed Sep 24 23:36:07 CEST 2003

Hi --

Please bear with me.  I'm relatively new to mailman, and I freely admit
I don't know a pickle from a VERP from a pumpkin. :-)

One of our lists is fairly critical: if a message doesn't get delivered,
the list owner needs to know about it so that she can send a hard copy
instead.  Unfortunately, the list of email addresses which was used to
populate this list is known to contain several bad addresses, but no one
knows *which* addresses are bad.  I'd like a way to have all bounces to
go her, or, in the worst case, to me or to a file or something, so that
she can go an follow up on each bad email address and either track down
the correct one and fix it or delete it from the list.  We can't afford
to let bounce processing wait for five bounces before notifying the list
owner.

The obvious solution is to set bouce_score_threshhold to 0.
Unfortunately, I didn't realize this was going to be necessary until an
important announcement was sent to the list already.  My questions are:

1 - am I on the right track with bounce_score_threshhold=0 ?
2 - is there a way to dump out all of the bounces to a file so I can
pass it to the list owner?  Where are bounces 'stored' ?

Please forgive my ignorance about the internals of mailman.

thanks!

- Aaron Bennett

--
Aaron Bennett