[Mailman-Users] New Mailman user on RedHat 9.0

Michael D. Hensley mhensley at gofcc.org
Mon Sep 22 21:35:28 CEST 2003

I asked:

> I'm attempting to use Mailman on RedHat Linux 9.0. I installed it as
> part of the initial installation of RedHat, via the RPM that came on
> the CD.
[additional details deleted]

John Carnes responded (thanks!):

> Did you startup the Mailman daemon: /var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl start
>
> Your log trace shows that your mail is being delivered to
> Mailman. So your aliases are setup properly and working.

Attempts to start the Mailman daemon give the following error messages:

[root at sl101 root]#  /var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl start
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 524, in ?
    main()
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 319, in main
    check_privs()
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 274, in check_privs
    gid = grp.getgrnam(mm_cfg.MAILMAN_GROUP)[2]
KeyError: getgrnam(): name not found
[root at sl101 root]#

...which is the same error I get when I try "/bin/check_perms".

I don't know python (a situation which I intend to remedy soon), but
this appears to be doing a "getgrnam" to make sure the MAILMAN_GROUP is
(I'm guessing) in /etc/group? There is a line in /etc/group that
contains
mailnam:x:41:

 The "mailman" entry in /etc/passwd look like this:

mailman:x:41:41:GNU Mailing List Manager:/var/mailman:/bin/false

Any further suggestions?

Thanks!

---
Michael D. Hensley