[Mailman-Users] Mailman performance

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Fri Sep 19 10:27:51 CEST 2003

> Anyway, I am looking for some recommended hardware specs to run a list service
> with approx 500,000 users, with say 2-5 million emails per day.

Largest single list is one of the key performance affecting metrics -
some of the mailman stuff appears to hit scaling problems on the size of
an individual list.  So the answer for 500 lists of 1000 users may be
very different to 400 lists of 1000 users and 1 lists of 100000 users.

> Would splitiing the mailman components up onto separate servers with a shared
> NFS disk be a good idea??

Seeing as mailman is using a disk based database I would be very very
very wary of putting this on NFS.  I'm not sure it would buy you much if
anything (locking becomes an expensive fragile operation), but when it
all goes wrong it will go very wrong :-/

	Nigel.