[Mailman-Users] RE: can I reset the list-admin passwords of many lists at the same time?

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Fri Sep 19 00:04:49 CEST 2003

morna findlay wrote:
>Hi - thanks, but I was hoping there was some way of updating several
>( well, lots) of list passwords
>at once, without using the site password, if you know what I mean.

      From change_pw in mailman/bin :

--------------
Thus, this script generates new passwords for a list, and optionally sends it
to all the owners of the list.

Usage: change_pw [options]

     --all / -a
         Change the password for all lists.

     --domain=domain
     -d domain
         Change the password for all lists in the virtual domain `domain'.  It
         is okay to give multiple -d options.

     --listname=listname
     -l listname
         Change the password only for the named list.  It is okay to give
         multiple -l options.

     --password=newpassword
     -p newpassword
         Use the supplied plain text password `newpassword' as the new password
         for any lists that are being changed (as specified by the -a, -d, and
         -l options).  If not given, lists will be assigned a randomly
         generated new password.

     --quiet / -q
         Don't notify list owners of the new password.  You'll have to have
         some other way of letting the list owners know the new password
         (presumably out-of-band).

     --help / -h
         Print this help message and exit.

<>< Paul