[Mailman-Users] Variations of email addresses

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Sep 18 22:05:56 CEST 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 02:22:13PM -0500, Rob Day wrote:
> Hi,
> My organization just made the switch from Majordomo to Mailman. I am most
> pleased with Mailman to say the least. I am, however, having one problem.
> A user will subscribe to the list with the address "some.name at example.com,"
> but their address will actually be "sname at example.com." Mail sent to the
> expanded address (some.name) will be received, but the person will be unable
> to post to the list because the message comes from "sname at example.com." Does
> that make sense?

No, this doesn't make sense.  How are the users subscribing to the list?
Via e-mail or web?  It sounds to me like the user's MUA is misconfigured
- either your e-mail address is sname at example.com or it's
some.name at example.com.  You can't have it both ways - mailman should
correctly treat those as separate people since there is absolutely no
way for it to know the difference.

If you're subscribed with some.name, then post from some.name.  If you
want to allow posting from other e-mail addresses, then configure
mailman so that non-list members are allowed to post.  If you restrict
posting to list members, then the client must be configured to post from
some.name.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org