[Mailman-Users] python burning 100% cpu

John Lange john.lange at bighostbox.com
Thu Sep 11 22:47:16 CEST 2003

I think I have the problem solved. Acting on a hunch from what Jon Carns
said about the postfix configuration I completely stopped postfix and
restarted it.

Previously I had simply done a postfix reload.

Just for the benefit of anyone reading this thread in the future, I
believe the setting that made the difference was in postfix/main.cf. I
added "localhost" to the following line.

# RECEIVING MAIL
inet_interfaces = <MY IP>, localhost

Some time before I rebooted I had changed this from the default to
restrict postfix to listening to only a single IP instead of every IP on
the system (I had forgotten that I needed localhost).

The docs say "Note: you need to stop/start Postfix when this parameter
changes." In my haste I had missed that note and just did a reload
instead of a stop/start therefore postfix was still listening on
localhost and mailman worked fine until I rebooted.

On the flip side I still did not see the note when I added localhost
back in and again failed to do a stop/start.... *sigh*

Clearly my fault for not reading the docs but if any developers are
reading this; my recommendation would be that mailman should report a
failed connection attempt to localhost as a serious problem and log it
in syslog, or at the very minimum it's own logs. quietly burning 100%
CPU should not be acceptable.

The only reason I even noticed something was wrong at all was because I
run a remote gkrellm client on my desktop for the server. Without that
it probably would have been burning away for days or weeks before I
happened to check top or something.

It is also not clear to me why this would cause 100% CPU burn on startup
since I wasn't sending anything to any lists at the time. Perhaps
something was still queued ?

Thanks to those who responded.

John Lange