[Mailman-Users] Annoying messages...

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 06:47:05 CET 2003

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 10:58  pm, Anders Norrbring wrote:

> I get these e-mails all the time from my new 2.1.3 install, can
> somebody
> please tell me what I missed out on?  I myself don't have a clue..
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/qrunner", line 89, in ?
>     from Mailman.Handlers import HandlerAPI
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/HandlerAPI.py", line 26, in ?
>     from Mailman.pythonlib.StringIO import StringIO
> ImportError: No module named pythonlib.StringIO

You should not be getting these messages from MM 2.1.3 because there
should be no file $prefix/Handlers/HandlerAPI.py in the MM 2.1.3
distribution. There was such a file in the MM 2.0.13 distribution.

This suggests that however you MM 2.1.3 was installed files associated
with an earlier MM 2.0.x were not fully removed.

That the message comes from execution of /usr/lib/mailman/cron/qrunner
tends to confirm this analysis as no qrunner is executed as a cron job
in MM 2.1.3. It looks as though the crontab from the MM 2.0.x release
is still being used and is trying to run the old release's code.

As to why, how was Mailman installed? From source or some packaged
distribution?