[Mailman-Users] Address matching behavior

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Oct 23 23:09:54 CEST 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 03:50:44PM -0400, Vijay G. Bharadwaj wrote:
> I've been running a bunch of mailman lists for about two years now, and
> a couple of months ago I upgraded to version 2.1 from 2.0. Since the
> change, every message sent to any one of our members-only lists is being
> held for approval.
>
> The problem appears to be a change in mailman's address matching
> behavior. Previously, if user at domain.tld was subscribed, email from
> user at host.domain.tld would be accepted as well. The new mailman,
> however, doesn't think user at host.domain.tld is a member, and so holds
> the message for approval.

I believe that this is the intended behavior.  You need to determine if
you want outgoing mail to be user at host.domain.tld or user at domain.tld -
you should not use both.  The 2 e-mail addresses are different, and I
think you need to fix the outgoing mail to masquerade
user at host.domain.tld to user at domain.tld.

I would think the 2.0 behavior, as you specified, is a bug.  How would
you expect it to work if user at host1.domain.tld and user at host2.domain.tld
are different users?  From an outsider's point of view, the most
certainly are.  user at host.domain.tld is also different than
user at domain.tld - in some cases at my site, they are (root for example).

IMO, 2.1 is doing the right thing and you need to fix your outgoing mail
behavior.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org