[Mailman-Users] List archives available for anyone

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 18:49:34 CEST 2003

You do not say which version of MM you are running; assuming 2.0.13 or
2.1.x ...

On Saturday, October 18, 2003, at 05:12  pm, Eric wrote:

> Hi, I've got my preferences set for
> view archives by "list members only."

By this, do you mean you have set the list archive to 'private' using
the web admin GUI for the list?

if so there should NOT be symlinks in directory $prefix/archive/public/
called <listname> and <listname.mbox> pointing to real directories in
directory $prefix/archive/private/

If there are, and you are sure you have set the archive to 'private'
through the admin GUI, then delete those symlinks. You should be able
to set the list archive to 'public' and see the symlinks created and
then deleted when you set the archive back to 'private'.

If that is not happening then something is going wrong. Check you error
logs and repost to this list if you cannot spot any reason for the
problem.

> But, with no cookies in my browser,
> I'm able to just go right to /pipermail/listname
> and it's freely visible. What is wrong with
> my configuration?

What Alias and ScriptAlias did you set up in your Apache httpd.conf to
support Mailman?

The /pipermail/ Alias should be pointing to the $prefix/archive/public/
directory.

Your httpd.conf should not provide access to $prefix/archive/private/
directory.

If the above is all correct it is difficult how Apache is serving the
pages via the /pipermail/ URI path.

Is it possible that what you are seeing is just some artifact of the
accesses being via some caching proxy server or indeeed via your
browser's cache; could the pages be out of the browser cache or the
proxy cache rather than being from the MM Apache server?