[Mailman-Users] pending_subscriptions.db format?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Oct 11 21:21:43 CEST 2003

I've been migrating my subscriptions over to 2.1.2 from 2.0.9, mostly
because I began having problems I couldn't fathom with the lists hosted on
2.0.9.  A few are still on 2.0.9 and I'll probably migrate them soon enough,
however I encountered a problem with my 2.0.9 pending_subscriptions.db file
I'm curious about.  I got this traceback in the mail:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailCommandHandler.py", line 223, in ParseMailCommands
        self.__dispatch[cmd](args, line, msg)
      File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailCommandHandler.py", line 621, in ProcessConfirmCmd
        self.ProcessConfirmation(cookie)
      File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 1024, in ProcessConfirmation
        got = Pending().confirmed(cookie)
      File "../Mailman/Pending.py", line 88, in confirmed
      File "../Mailman/Pending.py", line 111, in __save
    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/mailman/data/pending_subscriptions.db'

Investigating, I saw the file was owned by nobody:mailman.  (This change may
be sendmail-related since I upgraded sendmail recently.  Any thoughts on
that?)  Anyway, I chown'd it back to mailman:mailman and decided to take a
look at it from the Python interpreter.  I thought it was in pickle format,
but that appears not to be the case:

    >>> import pickle
    >>> d = pickle.load(open("pending_subscriptions.db"))
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/pickle.py", line 982, in load
        return Unpickler(file).load()
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/pickle.py", line 597, in load
        dispatch[key](self)
    KeyError: {

Is it in some other non-bsddb format?

Thx,