[Mailman-Users] Re: Subscription form

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Sat Oct 11 20:01:07 CEST 2003

Brandon Ballheim wrote:
>Paul,
>
>Unfortunately I don't have access to the server files.  You see my web host
>manages the Mailman server and since they support it they don't want anyone
>having access to the template files.

      Once a template file is copied into the language directory of a
single list it only affects that list.  If you can create files in the list
directory you could create it yourself.  I've attached the subscribeack.txt
file from Mailman 2.1.2 .  Watch the variables, which start with "%" and
end with "s".  As you are doing this on a per list basis you can remove or
alter them as you see fit, but some are handy as is.
      The sticking point to both of these may be that the templates may not
be used until Mailman is restarted.  For some files this is required, for
some it is not.  If my limited understanding of the inner workings of
Mailman is accurate I suspect this is not needed for a txt file used to
send an e-mail.

>Do you know if I could script the necessary commands for (subscribe,
>unsubscribe, password management) from within my own custom user interface?
>For example, could a command parameter be sent along with a form submit to
>Mailman to perform, say for example, a subscription verification?

      Way beyond me, but it sounds like you would need to replace the built
in function, and that means hacking mailman Python files, which your host
is certainly not going to do.

<>< Paul