[Mailman-Users] what did I do wrong?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 2 19:19:10 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 12:32, Steve Ladendorf wrote:
> I just installed Mailman 2.1.3 in an effort to replace my existing
> Majordomo/Majorcool list management system and I have obviously done
> something wrong.  Installation went well, check_perms reports no problems
> however when I try to send to my test list I see that sendmail accepts the
> message and passes it to the mailman wrapper but then nothing happens.  A
> check of the mailman log directory reports the following..  I did change
> my real domain to mydomain.org so no that isn't the problem :-).
>
> error:
> nothing in file.
>
> post:
> Oct 02 11:08:13 2003 (1133) post to test from sladendorf at mydomain.org,
> size=2174,
> message-id=<fc.004c4b6b00d91d38004c4b6b00d91d38.d91e1c at mydomain.org>, 3
> failures
>
> qrunner:
> looks normal.
>
> smtp:
> Oct 02 11:08:13 2003 (1133) All recipients refused: (2, 'No such file or
> directory')
> Oct 02 11:08:13 2003 (1133)
> <fc.004c4b6b00d91d38004c4b6b00d91d38.d91e1c at mydomain.org> smtp for 3
> recips, completed in 0.030 seconds
>
> smtp-failure:
> Oct 02 11:08:13 2003 (1133) delivery to sladendorf at mydomain.org failed
> with code -1: ignore
> Oct 02 11:08:13 2003 (1133) delivery to sselseth at mydomain.org failed with
> code -1: ignore
> Oct 02 11:08:13 2003 (1133) delivery to test02 at mydomain.org failed with
> code -1: ignore
>
> subscribe:
> looks normal.
>
> What file is the smtp log refering to?
>
> Thanks!!

My guess is that Sendmail (or whatever MTA you are using) is not
listening to localhost (127.0.0.1).  You can test this by doing a:
  netstat -na |grep :25

     # Typical response would look like this:
     # tcp    0   0   127.0.0.1:25   0.0.0.0:*    LISTEN

You should also look at the FAQ 3.14 entry.  That may be helpful.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes