[Mailman-Users] MM 2.1.3 version Mailman-htdig integration patches available

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Wed Oct 1 17:49:45 CEST 2003

Richard Barrett (r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk) wrote:

> But the real problem is that no consensus has been reached on
> committing Mailman to use of the HTdig search engine for archive
> search. With posts to mailman-users and mailman-developers lists by
> some subscribers that express negative views about HTdig, this
> consensus is not likely to be reached. Also, I believe the main MM
> developers are not keen on bundling HTdig with MM or tying MM too
> tightly to HTdig.

At the moment htdig patches provides nice add-on functionality for Mailman,
and there are no better (read: simpler) ways to add search capability to the
archives.

> I have a half completed rework of the #444884 patch to make it more of
> a "search framework", so that a variety of search engines could be
> plugged in more readily, but finding the time and effort to complete
> this is a problem for me. And, if I am honest, I doubt that even this
> would be admitted to the core MM code before MM 3. Take patch #444879,
> which has been entirely search engine agnostic and configured to do
> nothing be default for some considerable time, and that has not been
> accepted into the CVS. To cap it all, MM 3 is supposed to get a better
> built-in archiver (than the current pipermail implementation)
> incorporating built-in search; so why waste my time and effort on
> figuring out enhanced changes to obsolescent code.

I can agree that neither pipermail, nor htdig are the best one's, but they
at least work -- now, and are easy to setup.

> Others must speak to their view but I doubt you will see this problem
> resolved before MM 3.

Afaik, before MM 3, we must 1st wait for MM 2.2, so it looks like it won't
happen tomorrow, and it is a pity not to have some replacement in between :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

ps. Anyway, thank you Richard for your hard work in providing and maintaining
these patches.

--
Gour
gour at mail.inet.hr