[Mailman-Users] Easy Install Instructions for Mailman and postfix or sendmail)

Todd Freedom_Lover at pobox.com
Fri Nov 28 21:52:00 CET 2003

pvmailman at nekophile.com wrote:
>> At least you have it going.  To me, the nicest thing about using
>> postfix with mailman is the integration.  All the aliases will get
>> added to your alias file automatically, which saves you the hassle
>> of manually adding them and running newaliases.
>
> This is precisely the thing I can't get to work using the
> instructions provided under fedora.

D'oh!  That really takes away a large advantage of using mailman with
postfix then.

I don't happen to have a fedora install at hand, but what instructions
are provided there?  If it's the README.POSTFIX file from the mailman
tarball, then at least we'll know you're reading what the rest of us
are reading.  If it's something else, then I'd suggest checking out
that README from the tarball to see if the fedora instructions are
missing some steps.

> My postfix main.cf contains:
>
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/var/mailman/data/aliases
> alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases

That looks correct.

> If I cat the /var/mailman/data/aliases file, the aliases created in
> the web interface are being added to it.  However, when I contact
> list.test at nekophile.com, I get a "user unknown in local recipient
> table" error (within pine).  This is after having changed "Host name
> this list prefers for email" from mail.nekophile.com to
> nekophile.com.
>
> What's more, if I mail to list.test at mail.nekophile.com, postfix
> sends me a msg titled " Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender"
> indicating:
>
> "
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; list.test at mail.nekophile.com
> Action: failed
> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; mail for mail.nekophile.com loops back
> to myself
> "
>
> Any idea how to fix this problem?

I'm no guru at recognizing postfix problems (as it usually just works
for me so I don't have much experience tracking down problems).  But
it sounds like it might have something to do with the virtual domain
setup for mailman and/or postfix.

Just some guesses.  Perhaps this will lead you to a solution or help
someone else point out what's wrong.

Does postfix accept other mail at mail.nekophile.com?  If so, is
mail.nekophile.com or nekophile.com a virtual domain to postfix and if
it is, has it been added to ~mailman/data/virtual-mailman?

- --
Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insignificant
premises
    -- Samuel Butler