[Mailman-Users] wrapper script run as nogroup

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Wed Nov 26 09:43:36 CET 2003

25-Nov-03 at 12:32, Todd (Freedom_Lover at pobox.com) wrote :
> > Yes, I saw that, and I followed those instructions, but until I
> > changed the ownership of /etc/aliases and /etc/postfix/aliases*
> > the wrapper was still being run as gid "nogroup".  I think the
> > documentation should be changed to also recommend change those
> > files to group ownership of mailman.
>
> I don't think that's required.  I know that's not how I have any of my
> systems setup and they all work fine with mailman.  They are all
> running Postfix version 1, but I'd be surprised to find that Postfix 2
> is that much different in this regard.
>
> You might want to ask about this on the postfix-users list.  Someone
> there can probably answer more definitively why you're having trouble
> getting the wrapper to run under the right gid.  I would take a wild
> guess that it might have to do with your alias_map and alias_database
> settings.  Do you have some or all of your mailman aliases in one of
> the system alias files or something?

The wrapper script will run as the GID that it was compiled to run as;
this has nothing whatsoever to do with Postfix.

The postfix-users list will just tell you to come back here, I expect.

You'll have to recompile Mailman with the correct --with-mail-gid
option. The option to give to --with-mail-gid is the group that Postfix
runs as...

You could choose to be obtuse and recompile Postfix to run as the group
nogroup, but I think that could break other stuff in the system that
depends on Postfix.

Regards,

--
Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access