[Mailman-Users] wrapper script run as nogroup

Jeremy Gilbert zhq9eva02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Nov 24 22:25:23 CET 2003

> Your interpretation is not quite correct.
>
> When it is run, and as a security precaution, the mailman
wrapper
> checks the group of the process which is executing it is what it

> expects and then and only then runs the mail delivery script
with the
> mailman gid. This expected gid is compiled into the mailman
> wrapper as
> the value of --with-mail-gid from ./configure.
>
> The issue is not what gid the wrapper should run the Mailman
mail
> delivery script as but what gid the wrapper expects the
> process running
> it to have.
>
> The error message is saying that it is being run with the gid
nogroup
> when it was told to expect to be run by a process with the
> gid mailman.
> If you want to stick with that then Postfix, repeat Postfix, has
> execute with the gid mailman. Which may or may not be what you
want.

Okay, great.  I'm not sure about your explanation, but when I
changed all the aliases and aliases.db files on my system to
mailman:mailman ownership, everything is finally working.  By your
explanation, Postfix must be running as gid mailman now.

Thanks for the help, everyone.  Should this be added to the
documentation somewhere?  I can usually find anything using the
documentation, but I really don't think this information is in the
documentation or FAQ anywhere.

Thanks again,
Jeremy Gilbert
zhq9eva02 at sneakemail.com