[Mailman-Users] Mailman won't install under Redhat Fedora

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 09:55:04 CET 2003

On 23 Nov 2003, at 01:17, Marc Perkel wrote:

> What am I doing wrong?
>
> make install
>
> Compiling /usr/mailman/Mailman/Version.py ...
> Compiling /usr/mailman/Mailman/__init__.py ...
> Compiling /usr/mailman/Mailman/htmlformat.py ...
> Compiling /usr/mailman/Mailman/i18n.py ...
> Compiling /usr/mailman/Mailman/versions.py ...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "bin/update", line 47, in ?
>    from Mailman import Utils
>  File "/usr/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 35, in ?
>    import cgi
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/cgi.py", line 39, in ?
>    import urllib
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/urllib.py", line 26, in ?
>    import socket
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
>    from _socket import *
> ImportError: /lib/libssl.so.4: undefined symbol: krb5_cc_get_principal
> make: *** [update] Error 1

This is not a Mailman problem as such but a Python
configuration/installation compatibility problem.

It looks as though the standard Python socket module you have installed
has been built with support for SSL connections but was built against a
different version or different configuration of (presumably) openSSL to
that actually installed on your system.

You should be able to confirm that is the problem by running Python
from the command line and entering the 'import socket' statement. If
that generates an Import Error exception then my analysis is correct.

How did you install openSSL and Python; from source or RPMs? It might
be worth checking the Redhat support lists.

By the way, for a non-Redhat user and besides it being a type of hat,
what does "Fedora" mean in terms of Redhat Linux release
numbers/versions.