[Mailman-Users] How do I fix the archive download problem?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sun Nov 16 08:48:37 CET 2003

On Saturday, November 15, 2003, at 11:42  pm, Anders Norrbring wrote:

> -> > When I click the link in IExplorer, the .mbox file opens as text
> in the
> -> > window instead of initiating a download..

This is probably because your web server returns the content type of
the period archived mail files as text/plain because the suffix of
these files it .txt; they are plain text files and so this is
reasonable. And your browser, eager to please, is happily displaying
the downloaded text for you rather than offering to save it.

If nightly_gzip has gzip'ed your archived mail files and the file names
end in .txt.gz then your server will probably report the content type
as application/x-gzip or some such, unless server is setup to
auto-inflate gzip'ed text files, and the browser will probably offer to
save the file.

If you want .txt files reported as some mime type other than text/plain
you first have to decide what that is. How to get this different
content type reported is a bit trickier and will depend to some extent
on whether these are public archives being server just by Apache via
the /pipermail/ URI path or private archives being served by the
Mailman private.py CGI script via the /mailman/private/ URI path.