[Mailman-Users] IP Validation

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 13 03:52:12 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 15:22, Anne Campbell wrote:
> We're running Mailman on an Unix box using Postfix.  How can we offer IP
> Validation to a specific list on our server?
>
> Anne Campbell
> Manager, Information Technology
>
> As of December 2, 2003 Swets Blackwell will change its name to: Swets
> Information Services.
> Please note that my email address has changed to acampbell at us.swets.com.
>
> Swets Blackwell
> 160 Ninth Avenue
> Runnemede, NJ  08078
>
> Direct:     (856) 312-2150
> Fax:        (856) 312-2013
>
> acampbell at us.swets.com

What IP are you looking to validate?  The senders?  Their MTA?
Is this for Anti-spam - or security?

Mailman doesn't have great header filters (the ip addresses of the MTA's
that touched the email will be in the header), but you can front-end
your lists with Procmail or a specialized Milter that examines the ip
addresses and tests them.

I've played with some surprisingly good filters in OpenBSD (though I
can't remember the names), and some of those did verification based on
the IP Addresses of the MTA's.  They were also configurable enough to
only kick in when the To: field was for specific lists.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes