[Mailman-Users] Re: Digest problem

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Fri Nov 7 19:55:30 CET 2003

I wrote:
>       I'm seeing a seemingly random problem with digests.  The first line
>of the post as found in the mbox (From ....) is stuck right onto the end of
>the last line of the proceeding post, without even a space.  The message is
>not recognized as a new message in the contents or in the body of the
>digest, and the full headers appear in the digest.  I have not been able to
>find a pattern.  even some of my posts have done this, while others with
>identical formatting do not.  I am now monitoring the digest.mbox to see if
>I can catch it before it goes out.  My guess is that the separating line is
>not being added?  Any hints on where to dig for the problem appreciated.

      Okay, I've caught it in action.  The first one below is from the
digest.mbox the second two from a digest.

Do you Yahoo!?
Protect your identity with Yahoo! Mail AddressGuardFrom xxx at foo.foo.com Fri
Nov  7 07:52:27 2003

Reality: a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!
<>< Paul From xxx at foo.bar.com Thu Nov  6 13:58:01 2003

Do you Yahoo!?
Protect your identity with Yahoo! Mail AddressGuardFrom
paul at themarriagebed.com Tue Nov  4 22:50:12 2003

      It seems that a fair number, but not all, of the errors follow a post
with a Yahoo ad at the end.  The second one above follows a post from me
which had nothing tacked on the end, the third one runs into a post from
me, and again, nothing non standard.

      I checked the archive mbox for the second instance above, and it has:

Reality: a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!
<>< Paul
 From xxx at foo.bar.com Thu Nov  6 13:58:01 2003

      There is a missing blank line, but the two posts are not run up
against each other and the system does recognize them as two different posts.

      While I'd like to know why, my first concern is fixing it.  Is there
a way to force an extra blank line between posts when creating the digest mbox?

<>< Paul