[Mailman-Users] inexplicable UnicodeError

Pablo Chamorro C. pchamorro at ingeomin.gov.co
Fri Nov 7 00:04:41 CET 2003

As I wrote, I have in my mm_cfg.py for Spanish lists (Mailman 2.1.1):

DEFAULT_CHARSET = 'iso-8859-1'
VERBATIM_ENCODING = ['iso-8859-1']

I know that there are problems with the 'who <password>' command when the
user's names include certain characters, but right now I was playing with
the command 'who' without adding or deleting users and suddenly (after
some 10 who requests) I stop receiving the answers and found this in the
error log file:

Nov 06 17:10:36 2003 (9455) Uncaught runner exception: ASCII decoding
error: ordinal not in range(128)
Nov 06 17:10:36 2003 (9455) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 105, in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 155, in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/CommandRunner.py", line 218, in
_dispose
    res.send_response()
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/CommandRunner.py", line 147, in
send_response
    results = MIMEText(
UnicodeError: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

Some idea to fix this?  It has happened to me several times under similar
conditions not related with the users names.

Thanks in advance,

Pablo Chamorro C.