[Mailman-Users] Attachments - PDF Issue

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 09:03:01 CET 2003

On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 12:58  am, McKeever Chris wrote:

> I am trying to figure out how to resolve PDF's being converted into
> .obj extensions in the archive (they get sent to list subscribers
> still in .pdf
> form).
>
> I have tried sending from multiple clients (yahoo, our webmail, and
> Outlook Express) and I keep getting this issue.
>
> Ultimately, I would like the .obj to just be .PDF so end-users do not
> get the 'open with' dialog box.
>
> Here is a sample archived message:
>
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: x-4.pdf
> Type: application/octet-stream

You problem is the MIME type the MUA attaching the PDF file is putting
in the Content-type. It appears to be saying it is
application/octet-stream rather than application/pdf

It is questionable practice to rely on the file suffix to ascribe
content type and Mailman does not appear to so do, which is why a file
originally called xxx.pdf becomes yyy.obj

If the Content-type is corrected I think you will find Mailman extracts
the attachments into .pdf suffixed filenames.