[Mailman-Users] Mailman won't work - can you help?

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Mon Nov 3 15:30:22 CET 2003

03-Nov-03 at 06:15, John Barrus (john at johnbarrus.com) wrote :
> The server is running as user "apache". If you look through the original
> message, you will see that I only ran the
> /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/admin as root to show that the command does
> in fact run. Of course, as root the program outputs an error. The
> program won't run at all when "apache" tries to execute it.
> Unfortunately, as "apache", I get a permissions error that I don't
> understand.

You spent quite a bit of time repeating what I already know.

What I want to figure out for sure is whether Mailman was compiled with
the correct option --with-cgi-gid=apache or the GROUP that Apache runs
as, not the user... although I might assume they are the same, my advice
was pointing to the user, rather than the group, that Apache runs as.
This is probably the same group that the user apache finds itself in,
and as specified in httpd.conf.

If check_perms sets the files back to mail, I can only assume that was
the argument passed to the configure script. config.status in the source
directory will have the arguments you passed to configure in the
comments at the top...

Running the script as apache doesn't work because apache is not in the
mail group; if you chgrp to apache, is that in fact a group that
contains the user apache?

Hope this helps,

--
Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access