[Mailman-Users] qrunner looping on confirm message

Gerald Combs gerald+mailmain at ethereal.com
Thu May 29 03:34:42 CEST 2003

On 28 May 2003, Jon Carnes wrote:

> Make sure you local MTA correctly identifies the local user as bogus.
>
> Postfix by default does not correctly identify a user as being missing
> and instead sends a lesser error indicating that the user is just
> temporarily unavailable.
>
> Modify your MTA to report the bogus user correctly, then Mailman will
> not loop on that error.  A check is being added to the next version so
> this will not be a problem in the future (though it is not Mailman's
> error).

The setting in question appears to be "unknown_local_recipient_reject_code".
Postfix's main.cf has the following section:

# The unknown_local_recipient_reject_code specifies the SMTP server
# response code when a recipient domain matches $mydestination or
# $inet_interfaces, while $local_recipient_maps is non-empty and the
# recipient address or address local-part is not found.
#
# The default setting is 550 (reject mail) but it is safer to start
# with 450 (try again later) until you are certain that your
# local_recipient_maps settings are OK.
#
#unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

I migrated to a new server last week, and had it set to 450.  After
changing it to 550 it works as expected.  Thanks for the help.