[Mailman-Users] Headers

Nick Phillips Nick.Phillips at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Thu May 29 00:03:43 CEST 2003

I've just upgraded to mailman 2.1.1, specifically because I need the
ability to disable
the list-* headers (or some of them, at any rate). I was kind of
worried to see in the help
for that option the fact that it "might be going away".

Please don't.

Some of the lists we run are compulsory announcement lists for members
of the
department. They should not be able to unsubscribe, they can't post,
and a lot of them
are clueless. Some of the clueless ones are, being academics,
dangerously curious.
Anything that points them in the direction of the web interface is Bad.

Oh, and the list server's port 25 is currently inaccessible from
off-campus, meaning mail
from off-campus to it has to be relayed through another machine,
rendering all the
request and owner addresses in the headers incorrect.

Disabling the ability to remove (or at the very least, customise) these
headers would be
a serious step backwards.

Cheers,

Nick
Nick Phillips / +64 3 479 7073 / Nick.Phillips at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
# these statements are my own, not those of the University of Otago